Friday, April 6, 2007

874 channels

I just tried out the cable box in my new house, and we get channels 2 through 874. So with 2-based indexing, that's 873 channels. Of course, most of those are not subscribed, so we probably only get 200-300. Boo hoo hoo.

The real loss will be the Tivo. We are moving to HD, kinda sorta, so the Tivo will have to go to the studio or the playroom. We will have to deal with the Verizon/Motorola DVR. Ugh. We are so used to the Tivo, from 7 years of use, that it will be a severe blow to lose it.

Update: I can't tell you how much I hate the Verizon DVR. You'll have to read for yourself how bad it is. It's not worth wasting the bits to describe the horror. Between the bad DVR and our bad wireless experience, the television-watching portion of life has been ruined. Therefore, we're switching back to Tivo! I just received the email about the Series 3 HD Tivo for $300 plus $200 to transfer the lifetime subscription, so I'm going to do it. We'll have to get cable cards from Verizon and give them back their DVR. The old Tivo Series 2 will have a year's subscription for free (just to get/keep us hooked on whatever we use it for). I don't know if we'll end up using it, because the analog output from the Tivo seems broken. I've tried it on two (admittedly old) TVs, and it gets a terrible pinked-out picture. If we get a plasma for the TV room, then the current TV could work with the old Tivo, because it has various newer inputs.

No comments: