Thursday, April 10, 2008

Red light district

I've been thinking about whores a lot lately. We're going to Amsterdam, so we may catch a glimpse of a real-life prostitute. We'll be staying less than 1/2 a mile from the Heineken Brouwerij, so we may just "get lost" on the way back to the houseboat. Of course, I would never go there on purpose. Or would I? I just may be in the window myself, as I accept money for acts that I would not otherwise do in my full time job. Nothing illegal or unseemly, mind you, but the mere fact that I toil under the yoke of a corporate master makes me a whore.

Let me think about the non-whores in my life: my wife, who several years ago quit her day job to buy a needlework business (previously her hobby, and something she loves); my mother, who retired and now is able to do her art full time; my mother-in-law, who retired, and now volunteers for the ACLU; my sister, who quit her day job, and does lots of crafty stuff now; my sister-in-law, who took a retirement package and now is a freelancer. All of them do what they love for zero through quite a bit of money, money that does not have to be split with a pimp. And I am turning tricks for the man, turning wave after wave of brain activity into cold hard cash for the shareholders.

Don't get me wrong; I am a high-paid hooker, but, to paraphrase that famous someone who once said to the Duchess of something, we've established what you are sir, now we just have to establish the price.

There is a bonus currently available on PokerStars, and so now the low-limit tables are full of bonus-whoring rocks. The tables went from fairly loose to very tight in one day. So, I will make the deposit on the last day before we go to Amsterdam, and wait until the sharks have disappeared before I work on my low-priced tricks.

My cash game win streak continued after leaving Vegas, as I was up each day until the streak finally broke on Tuesday. I'm starting a new streak, though, on Full Tilt, while I wait for the blood on Poker Stars to dissipate.

:wq

1 comment:

Magdalen said...

I agree with the non-hookers: I didn't much like being a lawyer with a big salary, but now that I'm basically working (not a lot, but some) for no money, I enjoy the law a LOT more. Must be our generous natures: it feels better to give it away than to sell it.