Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Omaha Hi/Lol

Last night (now two nights ago), I made the money in another blogger tournament - the Limit Omaha Hi/Lo version of the Blogger Skills Series. I made it there by folding most of my hands for the first hour or two, picking up some chips here and there, and getting lucky when I had to. I had a couple of good players say "wtf?" on a couple of hands, and, while I will defer to their superior poker abilities, I will explain where I came up with my plays.

Let me take the second hand first. There was an all-in player after the flop. I was SB and Hoy was BB. The flop was 8 8 A, and the turn was an 8, and I had the fourth 8 in my hand. There was a $2 bounty for knocking out the all-in player. So I had the nut high, no card could come that would make a better high. I had T84A in my hand, so I could not make a low, and I did not want Hoy to share the bounty or the pot by hitting a low on the river. So I bet. Hoy called and hit a low on the river, so we split the bounty. I guess the "wtf" is that there was no possibility of a made low hand when I bet, so I was possibly driving out the winning low hand that would knock out the all-in player, if the all-in had a weak low draw. That's a subtlety that goes beyond my limit Omaha Hi/Lo with a knockout bounty tournament experience, so at the time, I didn't see it as a dry pot bluff - I was concentrating on the bounty. Now I know that it was a bluff, and will probably never run into that situation again.

Now the first hand second. It was the tournament host, cracknaces, and I, blind vs. blind, and I was in the big blind. I had KQJ2h, so no low possibility, and limited draws. I called a flop bet when I hit top pair, and then a turn bet when an ace hit. So I had second pair for high, there was already a possibility for a made low on the board, and I had 4 outs to a straight, and 2 jack outs, which would make me trip jacks. The bet was 400, making the pot 1200, and I could only win half (unless he did not have a low), so I called 400 to win 600. That's a very bad call with only 6outs (assuming he has an ace in his hand, which he did.) I guess I thought cracknaces would not hesitate to push me around, so I hung onto the fantasy that he might be bluffing. Yeah, pretty lame. So, I hit a 10 on the river, filling the gutshot draw, and raised his river bet, again, hoping he only had a worse high hand, and no low. So I deserved that "wtf?"

At the final table, it was pretty wild, with stacks oscillating up and down, except for the chip leader, who continually accumulated chips. It's amazing how in a limit tournament, you have to stay so disciplined for so long, and then, over the course of a couple of levels, everyone is on the brink of being eliminated. I hit some hands, squeaked into the money, and then really squeaked into fourth place, when the blinds hit lifesagrind one hand before they were about to hit me. I lasted a few more hands, and went out in fourth. I was generally happy with the way I played, not including the two hands mentioned at the beginning of this post. There was a lot of speculation with bad hands at the beginning, so tight play was called for. Middle cards ruled the day -- I've never seen so many middle card straights and full houses. I found the advice at http://www.playwinningpoker.com/omaha/ to be good back when I was playing Omaha Hi/Lo on Party Poker. The most critical piece of advice is to fold garbage hands, because the good hands are great hands in Omaha. Where I used to lose my way was short-handed, where you have to loosen up and play more hands, or you are just feeding blinds into the other players' stacks.

No comments: