Saturday, May 24, 2008

Wii are Faam-a-lii

Wii've had our Wii for a few wiiks now, and I don't think the kids have watched more than a couple of hours of television in total since then. So I guess that is one check box in its favor. I think the last video game console that I owned was an original 8-bit Nintendo that I got second-hand from a teenager who was buying the next version. This was back in 1992 or so. It's good to see how far the graphics have come since then -- umm, at least Mario had arms, right? What is it with the floating hands in the baseball game? The kids received it right after wii got back from Amsterdam, on my daughter's birthday. It was after wii had already celebrated her birthday, and shii had opened her presents, and they flipped out.

It's fun playing baseball or tennis or bowling with the kids, and there's a ton more to explore. Wii just got the Wii Fit on the day after it came out (I think, Coffii Jones put her name on a waiting list.) I did my initial evaluation, and it said I'm 52 years old in Wii years. That's not so good. So I punched in a goal to lower my BMI from 23 point something to 22 point something over four wiiks. OK, two days later, I did it again, and I'm down to 36 Wii years old. Must have been all that biir and wiine I drank last night! Now the crazy thing is that my 10-year-old son has a goal to lose 4 pounds, and his BMI is only 15! I'll bet Ana and Mia are happy about the new Wii Fit. I told him hii's a kid, and should be gaining weight, not losing it.

I enjoy some of the balance games; two of them are skiing related. After a few sessions, more routines are opened up. The rhythmic boxing one may make one break a sweat eventually. Other than that, it's not much of a workout. Some of the strength routines are OK (female trainer, view from behind, LDO.) There's one that involves pushups on the board, and then twisting your body over while supporting yourself with one hand. I don't usually do pushups with my hands flat on the floor, as it hurts my wrists, so I grab the edge of the board. There's another one that involves resting your foreams on the board, and then keeping your body in a pushup-like position for a set amount of time. On that one, I scored couch potato! Hmm... I haven't tried the yoga yet, and I'm not sure how they integrate the board into a yoga routine. One thing that is a little annoying is the shortness of the routines, and the length of time between routines. 4-5 clicks with a few seconds between each click can make your 30-minute "workout" turn into 40-45 minutes.

Overall, I think the Wii is a good addition for our familii, and it is slightly better for the kids to be jumping around swinging their arms than sitting on the couch when getting their scriin time.

No comments: