Friday, February 29, 2008

Leap Day

Almost time to spring forward, and just in time, too. The light is starting to encroach on my morning sleep. Today is Leap Day, and also Pepper Martin's 26th birthday. There should be no such thing as Leap Day. There should be 12 30-day months, and a 5-6 day (or two 2-3 day) holiday(s) around the beginning or middle of the year. No more "30 days hath September, April, June and November." It would be "30 days hath every month." What did February ever do to get such a raw deal?

I'm going to play Bingo at the kids' school tonight, with the kids and one of their friends. That will warm me up for 3-4 tabling No Limit Hold 'em tables while playing in Kat's Donkament tonight. The theme of the evening is "Disco," so I'll be dressed in my usual jeans with my Guinness jersey -- quite appropriate, I think. I don't think Granny will be going, as she's not your average Bingo-type Granny.

Last night was frustrating, as I missed buying into the Riverchasers tournament, because, well I'm not sure why. But when I looked up at 9:00, there was the new-style Full Tilt registration screen still open, with the password entered. I guess a table must have popped up before I hit the right button. Hmmph. So I continued to two-table (that's a lot for me) NLHE at Pokerstars, and played one round too many. I turned a decent win into a small loss when I failed to remember that when someone plays back at me, they might have a hand.

I will try to concentrate harder during the BBT3 series of tournaments, because there's no shortage of good players who will be trying their best to trap me or push me off the best hand. The first event is Sunday night, the monthly Blogger Big Game, and the list of players already registered is a Who's Who of good blogger poker players. The entry fee for the first event (out of 55 over the next 3 months) is $75.00, or one token, which can be won in satellite tournaments. I've already won my entry token in my second try at a satellite. So I'm in for $30 on the first event. I've got a stockpile of $26 tokens (won via satellite tournaments at an average cost of $13, I'd say) for entries into the weekly Mondays at the Hoy events, and I think the rest are $11-$13 buy-ins. To avoid total demolition of my Full Tilt account, I'll need to make the money in several of them. I think what I'll do is play the March events, and see where I stand at the end of the month. If I haven't come close to breaking even, then I'll probably scale back and only play a couple of events a week.

Speaking of the end of March, I'll be heading out to Las Vegas for some live poker on March 30-April 1. I had a free ticket on Jet Blue to use up, so I booked myself as far in advance as I could. Now it's coming right up, and I need to make a hotel reservation (probably the cheapest one I can find, such as Circus Circus or Stratosphere.) I'm somewhat apprehensive about getting robbed or beat up; the only other time I was there, I stayed at the Venetian for a business trip, and only went as far as Harrah's on foot, and to the Palms by bus with the rest of the conference attendees. I've never taken the monorail, walked anywhere off the Strip, or even been outside after about midnight. If I can, I will try to meet some real poker bloggers, who will be there at the same time. I may also try to meet "the Aunts" for lunch one day -- although I can't remember whether they are still out there. I'll bet they know all of the best value buffets in town. Money is also an issue, so I'll be checking the couch cushions, kids' piggy banks, etc., for poker money (just kidding about the piggy banks, the 529 funds can tapped for this "educational" trip.)

OK, the kids' friend is here, and the wife is leaving, so I gotta go.

Update: Bingo skillzzzz!

I won at bingo tonight, scoring on the diagonal with B3 followed by I30 FTW! As I raced to the front to claim my prize, the woman hosting the event said I was the first adult winner in the (now two-year) history of the event to win...

And NOT LET THEIR KID CLAIM THE PRIZE! Doh! I guess this must be what it would have felt like, had I gone to a big high school. Socially inept person gets made fun of by cheerleader in front of the whole school.

She harassed me for the next eternity 30 seconds, and finally let me go. Thanks, thanks a lot, Mrs. C. Remind me to put your kid in right field if I get him in baseball. Just kidding. He'll be on the bench, feigning injury (kids have to play at least two innings, unless they are injured.)

Geez, I bring 3 well-behaved children, somehow gain 2 more whose parents are not at our table, clap for everyone, stop talking when the kids are calling the numbers, and that the thanks I get. Well, I think there will be no penguins in the movie I watch with my prize of pair of movie passes. In fact, I might use them both myself, on consecutive movies, on a weekend afternoon.

...aaaand damn! I missed the start of the Donkament, because I was typing this post. Must... not... tilt...

:wq

1 comment:

Ice Girl said...

What about Tuesday nights at the Bodonkey? Odds of winning are better and the grand prize is a 12000 prize package with a seat at the 2008 WSOP. Check it at bodogbloggertournament.com